The Moto-Messenger Garden Tractor Forum.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tractor of the week: December 5th Tyler Rowe With His Awesome Massey.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  www.motomow.com  

Fixin up my old ford

Go down 
+3
Motomow
tracktor312
johnboggs21
7 posters
AuthorMessage
johnboggs21
johnboggs21

Fixin up my old ford Empty
PostSubject: Fixin up my old ford   Fixin up my old ford Icon_minitimeThu 03 Sep 2009, 11:12 pm

Started bondoin up my pickup today. I have to say that bondo is some pretty neat stuff. Any advice on using it?
I wire brushed the frame the other day and spray painted it black. Came across a few places in need of patching, but nothing major. Ill get pics if my camera decides it wants to work again.
Back to top Go down
tracktor312
Posted on by 1K
tracktor312

PostSubject: Re: Fixin up my old ford   Fixin up my old ford Icon_minitimeFri 04 Sep 2009, 12:19 am

use as little as possible replace as much metal as you can make sure to cut out any rust or else it will be back in no time...
Back to top Go down
Motomow
Admin
Motomow

PostSubject: Re: Fixin up my old ford   Fixin up my old ford Icon_minitimeThu 10 Sep 2009, 12:08 am

yea johnny the more you use the more falls back out later on,thin as possible will make it stay on the truck.
Back to top Go down
http://www.motomow.com
johnboggs21
johnboggs21

PostSubject: Re: Fixin up my old ford   Fixin up my old ford Icon_minitimeTue 15 Sep 2009, 10:52 pm

Fixin up my old ford IMG_5666

Fixin up my old ford IMG_5668

Fixin up my old ford IMG_5669

Fixin up my old ford IMG_5670

Fixin up my old ford IMG_5672

Fixin up my old ford IMG_5675

Fixin up my old ford IMG_5678

And a pic of my welder for jared:
Fixin up my old ford IMG_5671
Back to top Go down
poncho62
Post Addict
poncho62

PostSubject: Re: Fixin up my old ford   Fixin up my old ford Icon_minitimeWed 16 Sep 2009, 9:26 am

2 words...replacement panels........

I know you are just trying to make it look better, and I am sure you know by next spring, most of that rust will be back......it really needs new metal....

I have had better luck with short strand fiberglass than bondo in these situations....seems to grip better. The trick is to get all the rust out 1st....of course, thats pretty much impossible.
Back to top Go down
tracktor312
Posted on by 1K
tracktor312

PostSubject: Re: Fixin up my old ford   Fixin up my old ford Icon_minitimeWed 16 Sep 2009, 10:11 am

Yep replacement panels are fairly inexpensive cut out the old rust and weld in the new you will get years out of them ..
Back to top Go down
wvbuzzmaster
Admin
wvbuzzmaster

PostSubject: Re: Fixin up my old ford   Fixin up my old ford Icon_minitimeWed 16 Sep 2009, 5:33 pm

John doesn't want years, he wants months LOL.

Also, at this point it may be cheaper to buy a low miles, wrecked, parts truck, but that would cost more than john paid for his truck to begin with LOL.

Can anyone say "John will be driving a tin can on wheels" LOL
Back to top Go down
johnboggs21
johnboggs21

PostSubject: Re: Fixin up my old ford   Fixin up my old ford Icon_minitimeWed 16 Sep 2009, 7:08 pm

tracktor312 wrote:
Yep replacement panels are fairly inexpensive cut out the old rust and weld in the new you will get years out of them ..

While they are not replacement panels, i did cut out the old rusted metal, and welded in new. If anything itll keep snow out of the cab. lol!
Back to top Go down
tracktor312
Posted on by 1K
tracktor312

PostSubject: Re: Fixin up my old ford   Fixin up my old ford Icon_minitimeWed 16 Sep 2009, 9:02 pm

I just had to

Fixin up my old ford Bt-03010
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Fixin up my old ford   Fixin up my old ford Icon_minitimeWed 16 Sep 2009, 9:49 pm

Hey thats a good one! Why did you write it on a band-aid?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Fixin up my old ford   Fixin up my old ford Icon_minitimeWed 16 Sep 2009, 9:50 pm

Fixin up my old ford Lol Fixin up my old ford Icon_biggrin Fixin up my old ford Icon_razz Fixin up my old ford Affraid Fixin up my old ford Icon_lol Fixin up my old ford Icon_surprised Fixin up my old ford Lol
Back to top Go down
tracktor312
Posted on by 1K
tracktor312

PostSubject: Re: Fixin up my old ford   Fixin up my old ford Icon_minitimeWed 16 Sep 2009, 10:15 pm

Don't tell me another ford fan lol!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Fixin up my old ford   Fixin up my old ford Icon_minitimeWed 16 Sep 2009, 10:56 pm

Sorry man I got three of them in the driveway.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Fixin up my old ford   Fixin up my old ford Icon_minitimeWed 16 Sep 2009, 11:04 pm

FORD Fixin up my old ford Icon_arrow Fixin up my old ford 20-5210 Fixin up my old ford Lol
Back to top Go down
Jared Olson for SO IL
Admin
Jared Olson for SO IL

PostSubject: Re: Fixin up my old ford   Fixin up my old ford Icon_minitimeWed 16 Sep 2009, 11:23 pm

I got 3 of em on blocks lol jk
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Fixin up my old ford   Fixin up my old ford Icon_minitimeWed 16 Sep 2009, 11:50 pm

Who didnt take bail out money? Oh yeah, FORD! Fixin up my old ford Icon_razz
Back to top Go down
Jared Olson for SO IL
Admin
Jared Olson for SO IL

PostSubject: Re: Fixin up my old ford   Fixin up my old ford Icon_minitimeThu 17 Sep 2009, 12:14 am

whose movin to mexico for cheap labor? Oh Yeah FORD lol!
Back to top Go down
tracktor312
Posted on by 1K
tracktor312

PostSubject: Re: Fixin up my old ford   Fixin up my old ford Icon_minitimeThu 17 Sep 2009, 10:38 am

JD wrote:
FORD Fixin up my old ford Icon_arrow Fixin up my old ford 20-5210 Fixin up my old ford Lol

yes typical ford it says ford on it but thet didn't make it......
Back to top Go down
Motomow
Admin
Motomow

PostSubject: Re: Fixin up my old ford   Fixin up my old ford Icon_minitimeThu 17 Sep 2009, 11:38 am

I would just patch it with the metal johnny and forget the bondo it will never hold for ya,patch it find some paint that matches as close as you can and live with it,you can make it look better but without replacing the panels you'll be doing a lot of work for nothing i'm afraid ......KW
Back to top Go down
http://www.motomow.com
johnboggs21
johnboggs21

PostSubject: Re: Fixin up my old ford   Fixin up my old ford Icon_minitimeThu 17 Sep 2009, 6:16 pm

Motomow wrote:
I would just patch it with the metal johnny and forget the bondo it will never hold for ya,patch it find some paint that matches as close as you can and live with it,you can make it look better but without replacing the panels you'll be doing a lot of work for nothing i'm afraid ......KW

Well bondos cheap and I have LOTS of spare time. lol!
Back to top Go down
ohmar99
Post Addict
ohmar99

PostSubject: Re: Fixin up my old ford   Fixin up my old ford Icon_minitimeThu 17 Sep 2009, 6:35 pm

thanks Johnny and JD, I got the old girl running again and riding like a rotten log wagon.

someone gave me some new cab lights for it but thats too much work. I do have a headache rack for it though
Back to top Go down
johnboggs21
johnboggs21

PostSubject: Re: Fixin up my old ford   Fixin up my old ford Icon_minitimeThu 17 Sep 2009, 7:23 pm

ohmar99 wrote:
thanks Johnny and JD, I got the old girl running again and riding like a rotten log wagon.

someone gave me some new cab lights for it but thats too much work. I do have a headache rack for it though

Good to hear ya got her runnin. What was wrong with it?
Back to top Go down
ohmar99
Post Addict
ohmar99

PostSubject: Re: Fixin up my old ford   Fixin up my old ford Icon_minitimeFri 18 Sep 2009, 10:34 am

had fuel to the IP but not to the cylinders. the fuel shut off solonoid was clicking like it was working. I didnt want to pay for an IP so i pulled the FSS apart and found that it was all gummed up from sitting so much and even though the solonoid was working, the mechanical valve was stuck in the closed position. This was also causing my accellerator to stick open . Now she fires and smokes right up. had to order all my filters though, then I will start on the front end and suspension.
Back to top Go down
johnboggs21
johnboggs21

PostSubject: Re: Fixin up my old ford   Fixin up my old ford Icon_minitimeSun 20 Sep 2009, 10:54 pm

well grandpa borrowed me a palm sander today, so i got some sandpaper from wally world to fit it. Should speed things up quite a bit. Im thinking ill replace the front drivers side fender. Im afraid its to far gone to repair. Ill probly just rob one off another truck in the junk yard if i can find one wiht a good fender. Also picked up some fuses today and got my CB workin again.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fixin up my old ford   Fixin up my old ford Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Fixin up my old ford
Page 1 of 1