The Moto-Messenger Garden Tractor Forum.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tractor of the week: December 5th Tyler Rowe With His Awesome Massey.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  www.motomow.com  

Gilson....Whats she worth?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
poncho62
Post Addict
poncho62

Gilson....Whats she worth? Empty
PostSubject: Gilson....Whats she worth?   Gilson....Whats she worth? Icon_minitimeSun 21 Feb 2010, 1:39 am

Got a line on this older Gilson........heres the ad.....any comments in what it may be worth?

http://owensound.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-other-1972-gilson-garden-tractor-TRADE-W0QQAdIdZ187266373

Gilson....Whats she worth? 08766e10
Back to top Go down
wvbuzzmaster
Admin
wvbuzzmaster

PostSubject: Re: Gilson....Whats she worth?   Gilson....Whats she worth? Icon_minitimeSun 21 Feb 2010, 11:59 am

This one is basicly just like my 16 hp Gilson. Here is the thing, if it starts easy more than 6 times in a row, buy it, if it fights once, run away!! They are good tractors once they are running.. but they have no compression release in them, a small starter, and can be a pita to get started. Now with the one you are looking at it may have a starter generator, unlike mine, which is a starter only. I will add a harley manual compression release in the head of my gilson soon, as well as checking the flywheel key to make sure it isn't partially sheared.. since the tractor has been used mainly for tilling, it could have hit something. Now, one thing I know is they are not comfortable, but this one has foot pads, as opposed to running boards like mine. if it isn't power lift, also, just run!! Mine has manual lift, and an implement like a tiller is hard to lift, I see a snowblower with this one, so I would expect the same difficulty possible. I have pinched nerves in my back from lifting the tiller beause the lift levers are too far away and have a ton of travel. Also, this one has variable speed control, make sure that works before buying it. Mine was stuck when I bought it and if took about half a day, a lot of heat, penetration oil, and cussing to free up and was reassembled with neverseize!! I would also suggest sitting on it and making sure you like how it feels and drives, with the snowblower on if you are planning to ever use it. I am not saying this is a bad tractor, but I got royally screwed when I bought mine, and wish now, I hadn't, because it has been nothing but a royal pita, and consequently, back.... good luck, hope this one ain't a pita.

Believe me, I have dumped a couple hundred dollars in mine and it still isn't worth a damn yet... good thing I got a good deal on it. Minus the value of the implements... the tractor used to be free....
Back to top Go down
poncho62
Post Addict
poncho62

PostSubject: Re: Gilson....Whats she worth?   Gilson....Whats she worth? Icon_minitimeSun 21 Feb 2010, 4:22 pm

Thanks Casey.....I emailed the guy, asking if its a gear or hydrastat....He said gear. Does that mean it had variable speed then? He seems interested in an old 5500 watt generator that I have........which I got for free, so I wouldn't be out much.......All this will have to wait until I get home from vacation in March anyways.
Back to top Go down
wvbuzzmaster
Admin
wvbuzzmaster

PostSubject: Re: Gilson....Whats she worth?   Gilson....Whats she worth? Icon_minitimeSun 21 Feb 2010, 5:56 pm

Yes, it does make it a variable speed. Here are the questions you need to ask:

1) Does the variable speed work? (This doesn'tmatter too much unless you want a little ability to change ground speed on the move, or are tilling.)

2) Is it a starter generator or starter only? (This is important since the starter onlys are rather small for the 16 hp single, which has no compression release, and cost about $50 to replace, as I have done so because my starter only was totaled inside.)

3) How well does it start? (This is key, if he says it doesn't always start easily, hangs up on the compression stroke constantly, or requires jumping it to another battery even when the battery on it is good, then run away!! Trust me, I had all these signs and I still bought the damn thing...)

4) Ask about maintanance, to see what all he has replaced. I did a lot of maintainance on my Gilson that hadn't been done in over 20 years!! From fluids to cables, starters, and wiring, as well as mufflers and air cleaners. For the most maintainanced tractor in my fleet, it still doesn't start worth a damn. So needless to say I am pissed about that.
These are powerful tractors, but as you know, they gotta start to be used.
Back to top Go down
poncho62
Post Addict
poncho62

PostSubject: Re: Gilson....Whats she worth?   Gilson....Whats she worth? Icon_minitimeMon 22 Feb 2010, 6:19 pm

A question Casey....Is the variable speed in these the same as in my Massey-Ferguson 10.....2 belts with the movable sheave?

Hard to tell from the pics to see which way the engine is sitting........wish he had taken a pic of the other side
Back to top Go down
wvbuzzmaster
Admin
wvbuzzmaster

PostSubject: Re: Gilson....Whats she worth?   Gilson....Whats she worth? Icon_minitimeMon 22 Feb 2010, 8:06 pm

No, there is a lever to the right of the shifter that usually freezes on the shaft, as mine had. It moves a wedge on the right angle drive box above the tranny to open and close a single pulley. It also adjusts the clutch accordingly to compensate. The engine shaft drives the right angle drive box with belt drives the rear end basicly.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Gilson....Whats she worth?   Gilson....Whats she worth? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Gilson....Whats she worth?
Page 1 of 1