The Moto-Messenger Garden Tractor Forum.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tractor of the week: December 5th Tyler Rowe With His Awesome Massey.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  www.motomow.com  

homemade or factory?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Gtractor
Regular Poster
Gtractor

homemade or factory? Empty
PostSubject: homemade or factory?   homemade or factory? Icon_minitimeFri 05 Feb 2010, 11:52 pm

I been tryin to identify this thing for a few years. Some things look homemade and some of it looks factory made. Anyone seen one before and if so what is it?

homemade or factory? Unkown2

homemade or factory? Unknown
Back to top Go down
Evan(PA)
Post Addict
Evan(PA)

PostSubject: Re: homemade or factory?   homemade or factory? Icon_minitimeSat 06 Feb 2010, 1:09 am

Well, you've got me stumped there. I have to agree with you that some things look homemade and others look factory. But I've never seen anything that looks quite like it. Does it run? Looks like its got a Kohler up there. I spy a Case and a Bolens tubeframe chilling in the background too! lol!
Back to top Go down
Jared Olson for SO IL
Admin
Jared Olson for SO IL

PostSubject: Re: homemade or factory?   homemade or factory? Icon_minitimeSat 06 Feb 2010, 10:44 am

Evan(PA) wrote:
Well, you've got me stumped there. I have to agree with you that some things look homemade and others look factory. But I've never seen anything that looks quite like it. Does it run? Looks like its got a Kohler up there. I spy a Case and a Bolens tubeframe chilling in the background too! lol!

make that 2 cases lol
Back to top Go down
poncho62
Post Addict
poncho62

PostSubject: Re: homemade or factory?   homemade or factory? Icon_minitimeSat 06 Feb 2010, 11:04 am

The tin can is NOT factory...........Probably built by some small off beat company What a Face
Back to top Go down
Gtractor
Regular Poster
Gtractor

PostSubject: Re: homemade or factory?   homemade or factory? Icon_minitimeSat 06 Feb 2010, 12:11 pm

Oh but the tin can IS factory - - Folgers factory lol! lol!
It had a stack on it at one time but that rotted off, hence the can. The Kohler was already locked up when I bought it as the can wasn't always there. Crying or Very sad This tractor has me baffled. The drive is the most homemade looking part. The belt off the crankshaft drives a 90 degree gearbox witha 140:1 reduction! That gearbox sits under the sloping dash. Power is then put to a small clutch with a hand lever [has black grip in pic] and on into a standard automotive looking three speed tranny. The shifter comes right out the top of the trans, which isn't unheard of but most auto trannys have shift linkage on the side. This is not the super small Borg Warner tranny used in Crosley cars and Power King tractors, its larger. The power is then chain drive to the rearend much like a Panzer garden tractor except it is geared back UP before the rearend. Apparently the 140:1 gearbox made gearing too low. The back of the trans has the big sprocket and the front of the differential has the small sprocket. Question The rearend is standard looking Dana 20 but made narrow for this application. The brakes are hydraulic and that REALLY screams home built. The hubs are 4 bolt as you can see in the pic and the tires are 7.75X15 that were recapped for this application.
If it is homebrewed someone had a good size metal brake to bend the tinwork, which is too thick to be called sheetmetal. The front axle is solid inch and a half by two inch, overkill to say the least! The steering wheel is Chevy Corvair, but that may have been changed. The hood opened to put gas in but someone cut a very rough hole through the hood for access to the gas cap. Gas tank and starter/generator are missing. There is an assessory drive and implement lift such as for a mower deck, but I didn't get a deck with it. There is a cutout in the grille shell for clearance for the starter / generator that has a curved cut that is way too neat to be anything but factory. Actually, all the body work is very neat and doesn't look amateur in any way. There are no serial tags or numbers anywhere on the tractor.
Jared O, keen eye to catch the second Case in the pic! Cool
Back to top Go down
tracktor312
Posted on by 1K
tracktor312

PostSubject: Re: homemade or factory?   homemade or factory? Icon_minitimeSat 06 Feb 2010, 12:59 pm

what is the blue part that looks like a rear bed behind the bolens???
Back to top Go down
Gtractor
Regular Poster
Gtractor

PostSubject: Re: homemade or factory?   homemade or factory? Icon_minitimeSat 06 Feb 2010, 6:26 pm

Thats a 1960s Cushman Scotsman golf cart.
Back to top Go down
tracktor312
Posted on by 1K
tracktor312

PostSubject: Re: homemade or factory?   homemade or factory? Icon_minitimeSat 06 Feb 2010, 7:33 pm

cool get a few pics golf carts are fun heres the one I did

[img]homemade or factory? Cart_d12[/img]
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: homemade or factory?   homemade or factory? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

homemade or factory?
Page 1 of 1