The Moto-Messenger Garden Tractor Forum.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tractor of the week: December 5th Tyler Rowe With His Awesome Massey.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  www.motomow.com  

Oops - need help - broken steering wheel

Go down 
+2
johnboggs21
moto-breeder
6 posters
AuthorMessage
moto-breeder
Regular Poster
moto-breeder

Oops - need help - broken steering wheel Empty
PostSubject: Oops - need help - broken steering wheel   Oops - need help - broken steering wheel Icon_minitimeThu 07 Jan 2010, 6:32 pm

I need some advice - I broke the steering wheel on my 6020 - yes I'm very upset about it.

I have all the pieces and they fit really tight. Nothing is missing.

Looking for a recommendation on how to fix it.

Oops - need help - broken steering wheel Broken10

Thanks.
Back to top Go down
johnboggs21
johnboggs21

PostSubject: Re: Oops - need help - broken steering wheel   Oops - need help - broken steering wheel Icon_minitimeThu 07 Jan 2010, 6:42 pm

JB weld?
Back to top Go down
moto-breeder
Regular Poster
moto-breeder

PostSubject: Re: Oops - need help - broken steering wheel   Oops - need help - broken steering wheel Icon_minitimeThu 07 Jan 2010, 7:40 pm

I've never used JB Weld - will it bond what looks like cast aluminum?
(Not sure the exact metal)

The fix needs to be strong - because the wheel is often used to move the tractor.

Thanks.
Back to top Go down
johnboggs21
johnboggs21

PostSubject: Re: Oops - need help - broken steering wheel   Oops - need help - broken steering wheel Icon_minitimeThu 07 Jan 2010, 7:45 pm

JB weld can bond things together pretty damn good. It is supposed to work on any metal as far as i know. The alternative is trying to weld it. Ive never tried welding cast aluminum, but ive tried cast iron and lemme tell ya. Its a huge pain in the arse. You have to heat the metal with a torch first and then weld with a nickel rod and you have to cool it slowly.
Back to top Go down
poncho62
Post Addict
poncho62

PostSubject: Re: Oops - need help - broken steering wheel   Oops - need help - broken steering wheel Icon_minitimeThu 07 Jan 2010, 8:08 pm

I seriously doubt that JB weld will hold it by itself....Short of having a pro weld it, if it can be welded........I would look at pinning those pieces back together. How thick are the spokes? I would drill a hole in the broken area and a matching hole in the piece to be joined.....Then JB weld it together.

See pic...the pins go where the red marks are.

Oops - need help - broken steering wheel Wheel10
Back to top Go down
tracktor312
Posted on by 1K
tracktor312

PostSubject: Re: Oops - need help - broken steering wheel   Oops - need help - broken steering wheel Icon_minitimeThu 07 Jan 2010, 11:45 pm

ouch!!! I would take it to a proffesional welder and see what he says you may only get one chance to fix it make it a good one.
Back to top Go down
wvbuzzmaster
Admin
wvbuzzmaster

PostSubject: Re: Oops - need help - broken steering wheel   Oops - need help - broken steering wheel Icon_minitimeFri 08 Jan 2010, 8:40 am

Vintage cast aluminum is hard to weld. Dad tried welding a cast aluminum (possibly containing pot metal?) with aluminum welding rod. He ended with a nice aluminum weld and and both pieces, nothing changed....
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Oops - need help - broken steering wheel   Oops - need help - broken steering wheel Icon_minitimeFri 08 Jan 2010, 11:23 pm

If you can find a welder that knows what he's doing it can be fixed. Put it together and weld it on the back side and if you have to you can use JB weld on the front to fill the voids. This way your wheel wont look like a sloppy mess when it's done.
Back to top Go down
Motomow
Admin
Motomow

PostSubject: Re: Oops - need help - broken steering wheel   Oops - need help - broken steering wheel Icon_minitimeSat 09 Jan 2010, 12:31 am

Yea i'll agree with all here jb weld I don't think is strong enough to actually bond the steering wheel together and hold.I would find something else like a wheel horse steering wheel etc.a lot of those had the collar slip on with a pin thru it then try to find another MM wheel.Sometimes you can put way to much time in something that still turns out not good in the end.I usually put my time into finding a replacement other than trying to fix something broken especially that bad,it's always worked better for me anyways,,,,,,,,,,,,,KW
Back to top Go down
http://www.motomow.com
moto-breeder
Regular Poster
moto-breeder

PostSubject: Re: Oops - need help - broken steering wheel   Oops - need help - broken steering wheel Icon_minitimeSat 09 Jan 2010, 12:51 am

Thanks for the advice.

I've found a local fellow that's an expert.
(I'm told - if it can be welded - he's the one)

Will update this thread when I get it back - in about a week.
(he's taking it to his place of work - where they have the proper equipment)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Oops - need help - broken steering wheel   Oops - need help - broken steering wheel Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Oops - need help - broken steering wheel
Page 1 of 1