The Moto-Messenger Garden Tractor Forum.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tractor of the week: December 5th Tyler Rowe With His Awesome Massey.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  www.motomow.com  

Fabricobble

Go down 
+3
Tractor Beam
Jared Olson for SO IL
Gtractor
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Gtractor
Regular Poster
Gtractor

Fabricobble Empty
PostSubject: Fabricobble   Fabricobble Icon_minitimeTue 09 Feb 2010, 2:36 pm

Today I offer a cobbled up mess for viewing. clown I built this mostly from componet parts after my brother gave me the engine several years ago. Its supposed to look like a Case crossmotor tractor. Case built this style of tractor from 1916 to about 1929. The engine is a two cylinder Wisconsin. The frame and transaxle is Sears Suburban. The fenders used to be one end of my 300 gallon fuel oil barrel, and the steering box is Cub Cadet. I have no idea what the front axle is, I found it at the city dump. The rear wheels are Case manure spreader and a friend gave me the front wheels. I made the hood from scratch and the fake radiator is an air conditioning condensor from a 1982 Chevy pickup. For the streering wheel, I used a "V" belt pulley from a squirrel cage fan with a 5/8 solid rod heated and bent around the outside to fill in the "V" groove. I converted the foot clutch from the Sears to a hand clutch that operates in the same fashion. The clutch is spring loaded forward for engage, pull back 1/2 is release, and all the way back actuates the brake. I've had several people tell me they didn't know case built such a small tractor that long ago, so I guess I did OK. Its a fun toy to parade around tractor shows.

Fabricobble Newwheels
Back to top Go down
Jared Olson for SO IL
Admin
Jared Olson for SO IL

Fabricobble Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fabricobble   Fabricobble Icon_minitimeTue 09 Feb 2010, 2:45 pm

ever see a real cross motor? Ive seen a couple. On I swore the wheels were 8 foot tall
Back to top Go down
Tractor Beam
Regular Poster
Tractor Beam

Fabricobble Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fabricobble   Fabricobble Icon_minitimeTue 09 Feb 2010, 3:08 pm

Very nicely done!!! WOW! Would love to see something that you went all out on. You do very nice work.
Back to top Go down
wvbuzzmaster
Admin
wvbuzzmaster

Fabricobble Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fabricobble   Fabricobble Icon_minitimeTue 09 Feb 2010, 4:28 pm

I like that tractor. Very Happy

Always been a sucker for a Case tractor. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
moto-breeder
Regular Poster
moto-breeder

Fabricobble Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fabricobble   Fabricobble Icon_minitimeTue 09 Feb 2010, 9:14 pm

You should have covered the decals and put it out there for people to guess. Smile

Nice build and thanks for the write-up on what it is.
Back to top Go down
tracktor312
Posted on by 1K
tracktor312

Fabricobble Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fabricobble   Fabricobble Icon_minitimeTue 09 Feb 2010, 9:54 pm

nice job that came out great
Back to top Go down
Evan(PA)
Post Addict
Evan(PA)

Fabricobble Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fabricobble   Fabricobble Icon_minitimeTue 09 Feb 2010, 10:18 pm

Thats a cool little tractor there! Never seen a real Crossmotor in person, but your replica sure looks cool! Man you've got some neat stuff....keep sharing!!!!
Back to top Go down
Gtractor
Regular Poster
Gtractor

Fabricobble Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fabricobble   Fabricobble Icon_minitimeWed 10 Feb 2010, 2:27 am

Thanx for the kind words fellows! I thought a rear pic would be a welcome addition. In this pic you can see the original front wheels. The front end was too light so I put on the cast wheels to correct the problem. The cast wheels had a much larger inside [axle] dia. so I added to my front spindles and spaced the wheels out wider at the same time. The front axle was really too narrow so I killed two birds with one stone. The seat spring is the original Sears getup, but I took it off the top of the frame and mounted it on the rear where the three point would go. This lowered the seat and moved it back to where it fit much better. I had to heat and bend the seat spring to compensate for its new mounting angle. I wondered if the heat would make the seat spring brittle but so far there have been no problems. I fabbed some sheetmetal to dress up the rear between the fenders and added stirrups behind the axle to use as foot rests. The original Sears footrests were shortened and lowered and mounted ahead of the axle so I have two positions to rest my feet. The Sears utilized standard five hole lugs to mount the rear wheels. I cut the mounting flange off clicker hubs from an old Montgomery Wards walk behind tractor to get a standard five hole bolt pattern and arc welded those to the steel wheels using nickel rod. This made it possible to mount the rear wheels easily as they now bolt right on. I took extra time to make sure the hubs were trued up so the rear wheels don't wobble. I had to lengthen the steering colum to get the steering wheel high enough to be comfy. The little red tank on the side of the hood is from a Clinton two stroke engine and represents the gasoline starting tank from a real crossmotor. Like most tractors of that era, they started on gas and switched to kerosene. The main fuel tank on the real tractors, and on this one, are under the hood.

Fabricobble Hmdecase15
Back to top Go down
wvbuzzmaster
Admin
wvbuzzmaster

Fabricobble Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fabricobble   Fabricobble Icon_minitimeWed 10 Feb 2010, 3:09 am

Very nice machine, do you make a conversion kit? Very Happy
Back to top Go down

Fabricobble Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fabricobble   Fabricobble Icon_minitimeWed 10 Feb 2010, 5:39 pm

Dude! you've got to give me directions to your place. You keep posting these pictures of your collection and it's killing me. Well, maybe not really killing me, but sure would like to take the 50 cent tour.
Back to top Go down
Gtractor
Regular Poster
Gtractor

Fabricobble Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fabricobble   Fabricobble Icon_minitimeWed 10 Feb 2010, 9:31 pm

Buzz, conversion kit? Hmmm - no conversion kit is offered ~BUT~ maybe I should offer plans. YEAH! -- for fully illistrated plans, just send $19.95 plus $39.95 shipping/handling to ~~~~~ LOL
JD, I'll try to PM you my adress and phone # - I only charge a nickel but tips are appreciated. lol!
Back to top Go down

Fabricobble Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fabricobble   Fabricobble Icon_minitimeWed 10 Feb 2010, 9:34 pm

Sounds like a heck of a deal to me!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Fabricobble Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fabricobble   Fabricobble Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Fabricobble
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Moto-Messenger Garden Tractor Forum. :: General Forums :: General Discussion-
Jump to: