The Moto-Messenger Garden Tractor Forum.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tractor of the week: December 5th Tyler Rowe With His Awesome Massey.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  www.motomow.com  

Old Abe emblem

Go down 
+3
Jared Olson for SO IL
johnboggs21
Evan(PA)
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Evan(PA)
Post Addict
Evan(PA)

Old Abe emblem Empty
PostSubject: Old Abe emblem   Old Abe emblem Icon_minitimeThu 14 Jan 2010, 8:57 pm

Finally got an Old Abe emblem for my Case. Just arrived in the mail today from an ebay seller. Now to figure out how it attaches to the tractor. All it has are 2 pins in the back and they're not threaded or anything. But I have some time....I'm not gonna put it on until I paint the tractor, which will hopefully be this spring.

Old Abe emblem IMG_2987
Back to top Go down
johnboggs21
johnboggs21

Old Abe emblem Empty
PostSubject: Re: Old Abe emblem   Old Abe emblem Icon_minitimeThu 14 Jan 2010, 9:02 pm

wow thats nice, good luck figurin out how it attaches. cheers
Back to top Go down
Jared Olson for SO IL
Admin
Jared Olson for SO IL

Old Abe emblem Empty
PostSubject: Re: Old Abe emblem   Old Abe emblem Icon_minitimeThu 14 Jan 2010, 9:22 pm

it might be a nut type deal that slides over the peg if it looks how i think
Back to top Go down
Evan(PA)
Post Addict
Evan(PA)

Old Abe emblem Empty
PostSubject: Re: Old Abe emblem   Old Abe emblem Icon_minitimeThu 14 Jan 2010, 9:35 pm

Well I'm not sure... There's just 2 round pins sticking out of the back of the emblem. I just got done looking at the parts manual and its not clear to me from that what should be there either. I don't see any type of nut or clip or anything listed to hold the emblem on. I'm sure if anyone knows on here Larry would...I'm sure one of his Cases still have the emblem on it. All in all though, not bad for a $10 purchase with free shipping. I've seen them new on different sites from like $30.00 and up.
Back to top Go down
tracktor312
Posted on by 1K
tracktor312

Old Abe emblem Empty
PostSubject: Re: Old Abe emblem   Old Abe emblem Icon_minitimeThu 14 Jan 2010, 10:34 pm

Mine has little pieces of hose on the pegs not sure if thats right but thats how it was.got lucky two of the 4 cases had them. picture not to clear though hope it wors for you.

[img]Old Abe emblem 130_ca10[/img]
[img]Old Abe emblem Abe_0010[/img]
[img]Old Abe emblem Abe_0011[/img]
Back to top Go down
wvbuzzmaster
Admin
wvbuzzmaster

Old Abe emblem Empty
PostSubject: Re: Old Abe emblem   Old Abe emblem Icon_minitimeThu 14 Jan 2010, 11:08 pm

I would think the pegs would just get "peened" over with the ball peen hammer as you would a rivet. I'v seen emblems wobble cause of the peens loosening over time like a rivet, but nothing a hammer can't fix.
Back to top Go down
poncho62
Post Addict
poncho62

Old Abe emblem Empty
PostSubject: Re: Old Abe emblem   Old Abe emblem Icon_minitimeThu 14 Jan 2010, 11:21 pm

You can get little tin nuts that hold them on....Thats the way 60s car chrome pieces were held on.
Back to top Go down
Motomow
Admin
Motomow

Old Abe emblem Empty
PostSubject: Re: Old Abe emblem   Old Abe emblem Icon_minitimeFri 15 Jan 2010, 12:21 am

yea really whats on them are like poncho said they look like little tin circles with a cross cut pattern in them the points grab onto the pins when they are tapped on,you could use a number of things tho,I bet even small zip tie's pulled with pliers would work wouldn't take much.I wouldn't beat or bend the pin's tho to many other choices.You could grind a tiny notch and use a snap pin but still easier way's than that even KW
Back to top Go down
http://www.motomow.com
Motomow
Admin
Motomow

Old Abe emblem Empty
PostSubject: Re: Old Abe emblem   Old Abe emblem Icon_minitimeFri 15 Jan 2010, 12:22 am

some of that metal is a stiff type a pot metal i've seen them break off really easy I would not even touch therm with a hammer.
Back to top Go down
Evan(PA)
Post Addict
Evan(PA)

Old Abe emblem Empty
PostSubject: Re: Old Abe emblem   Old Abe emblem Icon_minitimeSat 16 Jan 2010, 12:25 am

Motomow wrote:
yea really whats on them are like poncho said they look like little tin circles with a cross cut pattern in them the points grab onto the pins when they are tapped on,you could use a number of things tho,I bet even small zip tie's pulled with pliers would work wouldn't take much.I wouldn't beat or bend the pin's tho to many other choices.You could grind a tiny notch and use a snap pin but still easier way's than that even KW

Thats kinda what I had figured that they used to attach them, at least something along those lines anyway. I'll just have to track some down now. If all else fails the hose clamp method could work for now. And I definitely wouldn't want to hammer on the back of this thing with a ball peen hammer. I think the only thing you would end up doing is snapping the pins off.
Back to top Go down
wvbuzzmaster
Admin
wvbuzzmaster

Old Abe emblem Empty
PostSubject: Re: Old Abe emblem   Old Abe emblem Icon_minitimeSat 16 Jan 2010, 12:39 am

I know some of the old auto's had that peened over setup.
Back to top Go down
Motomow
Admin
Motomow

Old Abe emblem Empty
PostSubject: Re: Old Abe emblem   Old Abe emblem Icon_minitimeSat 16 Jan 2010, 10:41 am

wvbuzzmaster wrote:
I know some of the old auto's had that peened over setup.

I'm sure you have buzz i'm not putting down your method at all but I think the metal on these type of emblems is the stiff brittle kind,for me it wouldn't be worth the chance once the pins are broke your pretty much left with drilling holes in the emblem and and using bolts to hold it on that wouldn't look very good.If it's the brittle type metal the pins will snap off with one tap and then thats it no do over's lol.I've taken off a lot of chrome hood emblems and they were always straight nothing bent over and they always had the little round tin washer's on them.some old tractors have one pin missing and it's probably was caused by somone trying to bend them. KW
Back to top Go down
Motomow
Admin
Motomow

Old Abe emblem Empty
PostSubject: Re: Old Abe emblem   Old Abe emblem Icon_minitimeSat 16 Jan 2010, 10:44 am

Evan(PA) wrote:
Motomow wrote:

Thats kinda what I had figured that they used to attach them, at least something along those lines anyway. I'll just have to track some down now. If all else fails the hose clamp method could work for now. And I definitely wouldn't want to hammer on the back of this thing with a ball peen hammer. I think the only thing you would end up doing is snapping the pins off.

if your in no hurry Ev i bet I got some washer's, I have parted out a lot of tractors and I always save the little odd things I know are hard to find,give me some time and I bet I can get you a couple you might need to remind me tho I've always got so much stuff goin on I may forget Smile KW
Back to top Go down
tracktor312
Posted on by 1K
tracktor312

Old Abe emblem Empty
PostSubject: Re: Old Abe emblem   Old Abe emblem Icon_minitimeSat 16 Jan 2010, 3:20 pm

Well got off my lazy butt today and went out to the old 130 heres what I found looks like they used speed nuts I am sure you can get them at the local hardware store McMaster carr also carries them. Heres a few finds on flea-bay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/47-48-48-50-51-52-CHEVY-TRUCK-HOOD-EMBLEM-CLIPS-1947_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem563893db28QQitemZ370316401448QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/40-49-Buick-emblem-name-plate-clips-speed-nuts_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem2c5290cdf6QQitemZ190363782646QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

[img]Old Abe emblem Abe_0012[/img]

[img]Old Abe emblem Abe_0013[/img]
Back to top Go down
Evan(PA)
Post Addict
Evan(PA)

Old Abe emblem Empty
PostSubject: Re: Old Abe emblem   Old Abe emblem Icon_minitimeSun 17 Jan 2010, 12:55 am

Thanks Larry! Thats what I needed to see! Thanks for the offer for the washer's KW. I'm not really in any hurry as I'm not gonna put the emblem on until the tractor is painted. I'll keep my eyes peeled for some of those speed nuts too...if I find any locally I'll let ya know.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Old Abe emblem Empty
PostSubject: Re: Old Abe emblem   Old Abe emblem Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Old Abe emblem
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Moto-Messenger Garden Tractor Forum. :: General Forums :: General Discussion-
Jump to: