The Moto-Messenger Garden Tractor Forum.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tractor of the week: December 5th Tyler Rowe With His Awesome Massey.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  www.motomow.com  

Battery winter storage

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
poncho62
Post Addict
poncho62

Battery winter storage Empty
PostSubject: Battery winter storage   Battery winter storage Icon_minitimeTue 06 Oct 2009, 4:27 pm

I have at least 6 batteries that I have to take out of tractors, trucks, that will be putting up for winter storage.....I usually leave them in the unheated garage.......I have one of those solar battery tenders, that I can put in a window and keep a trickle on a battery. I was thinking of hooking them all in parallel and attaching the tender to them. Is this a good idea? Will the tender keep them all charged? Will having them hooked together harm any of the batteries?.....suggestions.
Back to top Go down
johnboggs21
johnboggs21

PostSubject: Re: Battery winter storage   Battery winter storage Icon_minitimeTue 06 Oct 2009, 6:42 pm

I dont see any problem with doing that. Shouldnt hurt em any. Just check em after a while and make sure its keeping them up.

As a side note, since winters coming I'd go out to your car/truck and check the water in your batteries. i just did it on the f250 and the escape the other day. All 3 batteries were down some.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Battery winter storage   Battery winter storage Icon_minitimeTue 06 Oct 2009, 7:25 pm

I wouldnt hook them together. If one takes a crap it can short the rest out. I see this all the time on trucks.
You can get battery tenders that are set up to charge several batteries at the same time. This way if one shorts it wont cost you the whole bunch.
Back to top Go down
Jared Olson for SO IL
Admin
Jared Olson for SO IL

PostSubject: Re: Battery winter storage   Battery winter storage Icon_minitimeTue 06 Oct 2009, 9:47 pm

johnboggs21 wrote:
I dont see any problem with doing that. Shouldnt hurt em any. Just check em after a while and make sure its keeping them up.

As a side note, since winters coming I'd go out to your car/truck and check the water in your batteries. i just did it on the f250 and the escape the other day. All 3 batteries were down some.

self service batterys?
Back to top Go down
Motomow
Admin
Motomow

PostSubject: Re: Battery winter storage   Battery winter storage Icon_minitimeWed 07 Oct 2009, 12:47 am

poncho,I don't think it would be a good idea,when a battery dies it sulfates the plates,the sulfate grows onto the plates and fuses them together,it's just like crossing a wire over from positive to negative,it will kill them.When you have an old battery and it's dead and it will not take a charge?,that is what happened the plates have sulfated together.I actually bought a battery charger that can save certain batteries if they are not to far gone,what it does is throw a fast charge in a dead battery with quick pulses,this knocks the sulfates off the plates and the battery will come back to life.It really does work i've saved probably 4 batteries this year,they are not brand new again but it beats buying new tractor batteries about every friggen year LOL the 4 I saved are still starting my tractors so it was worth it to me and will pay for itself by next year. KW
Back to top Go down
http://www.motomow.com
poncho62
Post Addict
poncho62

PostSubject: Re: Battery winter storage   Battery winter storage Icon_minitimeWed 07 Oct 2009, 8:36 am

Thanks guys...I guess I will just throw the charger on them separately every couple of months.
Back to top Go down
Motomow
Admin
Motomow

PostSubject: Re: Battery winter storage   Battery winter storage Icon_minitimeWed 07 Oct 2009, 10:35 am

poncho62 wrote:
Thanks guys...I guess I will just throw the charger on them separately every couple of months.

That would be the safest way poncho Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.motomow.com
ohmar99
Post Addict
ohmar99

PostSubject: Re: Battery winter storage   Battery winter storage Icon_minitimeWed 07 Oct 2009, 6:45 pm

not together, this is why on diesel trucks and golf carts if one battery goes bad it takes theothers with it.
Back to top Go down
johnboggs21
johnboggs21

PostSubject: Re: Battery winter storage   Battery winter storage Icon_minitimeWed 07 Oct 2009, 10:14 pm

ohmar99 wrote:
not together, this is why on diesel trucks and golf carts if one battery goes bad it takes theothers with it.

speaking from experiance? lol!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Battery winter storage   Battery winter storage Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Battery winter storage
Page 1 of 1