The Moto-Messenger Garden Tractor Forum.

The Moto-Messenger Garden Tractor Forum.

Tractor of the week: December 5th Tyler Rowe With His Awesome Massey.

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log in  www.motomow.com  

Share | 

What is "Restored"........

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
poncho62
Post Addict

PostSubject: What is "Restored"........   Wed 17 Jun 2009, 12:42 pm

and, how do you like your tractors to look?

Ken's thread about buying the JD tractors spurred this question for me. He says he is selling his Simplicity to finance them, and that the Simplicity is not restored......well, it looks pretty damn good to me.......

Guess what I am asking, is how do you like your tractors....I am not one for looks....I want it to be clean and work well......It doesn't need to have a basecoat/clearcoat custom paint job for me to like it....I like that well worked look........I am not one for parades etc....even with my old truck....I use it every day and it has scratches and nicks all over it....I just like it better that way.....I don't have to worry about it getting scratched in a parking lot, cus it already is.

I know everyone has their own opinions....and the more power to you,......Part of my problem when I get something new (to me) is that I want to use it, so I get it workable, touch up the rusty spots and am done with it......To me, if a tractor looked too good, I would be afraid to use it.

What do you like in your tractors?....
Back to top Go down
Jared Olson for SO IL
Admin

PostSubject: Re: What is "Restored"........   Wed 17 Jun 2009, 2:02 pm

I think a tractor should be all original or be total repainted the right way and wat i mean by the right way i mean totally cleaned up and painted. I also dont mind puttin stuff on that didnt come from the factory. Example: im puttin duals and flat tops on my M and when i get enough money maybe a turbo.

I havent done a GT or LT but i would want them done the same
Back to top Go down
shroonmagnet

PostSubject: Re: What is "Restored"........   Wed 17 Jun 2009, 2:35 pm

Restored to me is close to as original as possible but,for me all I care about is it just needs to run properly.If I had me a real nice restored one Id be afraid Id scratch it all up or one of the kids would Laughing Laughing
Back to top Go down
http://www.indianamorel
tracktor312
Posted on by 1K

PostSubject: Re: What is "Restored"........   Wed 17 Jun 2009, 2:45 pm

As you can see most of mine are just decent looking good running tractors. The case 130 and 190 were bought for the purpose of trying to make them look as close to original as possible but they are just toys. I am not a freak about originality.
Back to top Go down
ptmmatssc

PostSubject: Re: What is "Restored"........   Wed 17 Jun 2009, 7:35 pm

Hmmm , "restored" to me means the way it came from the factory . Then again i have "restored" my tractors to working condition rather than what they looked like on the showroom floor .

If I restored any of mine to "showroom" they would be useless to me . I work all mine so mechanical restoration is key . Paint and decals don't mow/till/haul/etc .
Back to top Go down
ohmar99
Post Addict

PostSubject: Re: What is "Restored"........   Wed 17 Jun 2009, 7:59 pm

original working condition and not rusted
Back to top Go down
wvbuzzmaster
Admin

PostSubject: Re: What is "Restored"........   Wed 17 Jun 2009, 9:01 pm

Good mechanical condition, looking good 10 feet away, original or repainted condition. Dont mind a few aftermarket parts to set it off from other machines like it. I want my stuff to look good, but not so good that I can't use it.
Back to top Go down
Motomow
Admin

PostSubject: Re: What is "Restored"........   Thu 18 Jun 2009, 1:01 am

I myself appreciate any type of tractor.I don't care who does what I don't care who likes mine ya know?.I never think of what someone else will think when I do one.If I have an idea I do it.My opinion is if you do one 100 percent bone stock original then you'll have one just like a 100 other guys.To me thats no fun.I kinda keep the basic colors but I have been known to change the shade up a bit.John Deere's I can't bring my self to change the colors why? because i've always liked their colors.Power king on the other hand I think sucks I changed it to a brighter orange and was never sorry for it,people seemed to love the pumpkin and I did to.I love the working class tractors to it is more fun to work them but I also like to paint so I do.It's really hard to run one beside a pine tree or around a rasberry bush after you spent 4 months on it so I don't,I do save a couple for that tho.Restored to me is what you want it to be,if someone doesn't like what you did and your disappointed then you worry to much and shouldn't do them in the first place lol.I love taking a rusty hulk of metal and making it look better than it did new.Garden tractors were not made back then to be show pieces,I'll bet they never even thought we would collect and restore them, but now we do.I just do my own thing I would never knock anyone for what they did to their tractor,to me changing one up a bit is a good thing but thats my thing.I will add tho if you do end up selling one a shiny tractor will outsell a faded rusty one anyday and trust me I know that for a fact.Not saying it makes them 2-3 times worth more but it definitly helps of course you spend more money making it shiny so it boils down to doing what you love to do and how far you go restoring it is definitly your choice Very Happy KW
Back to top Go down
http://www.motomow.com
wvbuzzmaster
Admin

PostSubject: Re: What is "Restored"........   Thu 18 Jun 2009, 1:25 am

Basicly it looks like we all have the same idea, fix the ones we want to use, restore the ones to shiny we don't want to use. lol!

Personally, I think any tractor with duals and a stack looks cool. lol!
Back to top Go down
ptmmatssc

PostSubject: Re: What is "Restored"........   Thu 18 Jun 2009, 10:15 am

Lol , Ive been looked down upon for what I did to my Simplicity 3210V . Gas tank was bad so put a temp tank in . But then the hood wouldn't fit . Ok , get the one from the B110 and take the dash off so the tank fit's through it . Also wanted the cool non original lights so I could use it at night snowblowing . Again , it's a work tractor to me and I did what I needed/wanted to keep it doing it's job .

Oh , and the paint is the Chalmers orange rather than the Simplicity red . Just liked it more . But oh boy did I get some flack on the "non original" color I picked .

I could care less what "others" do to theirs . For me , as I said, mine are not trailer queens or show pieces . Have no reason to tie up my money in something I'm scared to use because I may scratch the paint etc . Now , if i had Jay Lenos money , it would be a different story

. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
tracktor312
Posted on by 1K

PostSubject: Re: What is "Restored"........   Thu 18 Jun 2009, 11:09 am

When I did the allis I didn't use the original color and never told anyone all I got was compliments as soon as I told them what paint I used then they all decided I should have went stock 95% of the guys have no clue what is stock anyway plus they are just garden tractors not high dollar cars

[img][/img]
Back to top Go down
Motomow
Admin

PostSubject: Re: What is "Restored"........   Thu 18 Jun 2009, 11:49 am

tracktor312 wrote:
When I did the allis I didn't use the original color and never told anyone all I got was compliments as soon as I told them what paint I used then they all decided I should have went stock 95% of the guys have no clue what is stock anyway plus they are just garden tractors not high dollar cars

[img][/img]

LARRY! JUST TRACTORS?, JUST TRACTORS??? I can't believe you just said that!!,LOL
Back to top Go down
http://www.motomow.com
tracktor312
Posted on by 1K

PostSubject: Re: What is "Restored"........   Thu 18 Jun 2009, 12:44 pm

Well something tells me I am not going to be getting rich restoring garden tractors Laughing
Back to top Go down
ohmar99
Post Addict

PostSubject: Re: What is "Restored"........   Thu 18 Jun 2009, 1:04 pm

something tells me Im not going to get rich especially BSing with you guys all the time.

and Johnny is not going to get rich in the film making business,
Back to top Go down
Jared Olson for SO IL
Admin

PostSubject: Re: What is "Restored"........   Thu 18 Jun 2009, 1:27 pm

ohmar99 wrote:
something tells me Im not going to get rich especially BSing with you guys all the time.

and Johnny is not going to get rich in the film making business,

my good looks are gonna make me rich someday lol!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What is "Restored"........   

Back to top Go down

What is "Restored"........
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1