The Moto-Messenger Garden Tractor Forum.

The Moto-Messenger Garden Tractor Forum.

Tractor of the week: December 5th Tyler Rowe With His Awesome Massey.

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log in  www.motomow.com  

Share | 

Kohler K-181 question

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Evan(PA)
Post Addict

PostSubject: Kohler K-181 question   Fri 08 May 2009, 11:53 pm

Today I changed the oil in my new 8 horse Moto-Mower. Who knows how long the old oil was in there...I'm guessing quite some time. I downloaded the K-181 manual off of the internet and according to the book this engine should take 2.5 pints of oil. So I went ahead and dumped a quart in and checked it, and it appears full to me. This is the old screw in type of dipstick, and I'm checking it by shouldering it at the top of the threads, not screwing it down in. Just wondering if anyone else had a K-181 engine, and how much oil they add during a change. BTW, this is a K-181S engine, it does not have the A suffix for a special oil pan.

Thanks,
Back to top Go down
fan

PostSubject: Re: Kohler K-181 question   Sat 09 May 2009, 1:50 pm

when you drained the oil, did it come out freely, or did it trickle out slowly? if the old oil was gummed up and partially plugging the drain port, you could still have half a pint of the old stuff in there. just a thought. clown
Back to top Go down
Motomow
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Kohler K-181 question   Sat 09 May 2009, 3:54 pm

yea evan usually it's a quart and a dab more on the kohlers,i'd just run it a bit and check it if it gets dirty pretty quick then it had some gunk in it,i'd just change it again,no biggie as long as it stays full Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.motomow.com
Evan(PA)
Post Addict

PostSubject: Re: Kohler K-181 question   Sat 09 May 2009, 9:20 pm

fan wrote:
when you drained the oil, did it come out freely, or did it trickle out slowly? if the old oil was gummed up and partially plugging the drain port, you could still have half a pint of the old stuff in there. just a thought. clown

The old oil drained pretty freely. I was able to stick my finger in through the drain, and I could feel a small amount of sludge on the bottom of the oil pan. I'll probably do like KW said, just run it for a bit and I'll check it frequently to see what it looks like and change it again if need be. One last maintenance item to do for this tractor and that is change the rearend oil, then it'll be in good shape.

Thanks again,
Back to top Go down
Motomow
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Kohler K-181 question   Sun 10 May 2009, 11:40 am

I've got to do that to my newest motomower to evan,I bought it rode it around the yard for a few minutes and it's been in the building ever since.Man I can't seem to get a minute to do the things I want to do lol.
Back to top Go down
Nathan Werneburg
Post Addict

PostSubject: Re: Kohler K-181 question   Sun 10 May 2009, 2:21 pm

a minute to do stuff huh kw dont feel bad im there with ya
Back to top Go down
Motomow
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Kohler K-181 question   Wed 13 May 2009, 11:16 am

I've really gotta slow down nate,it's actually starting to get to be to much for me,I did the same thing back in the 80's early 90's and I got totally burnt out on it and sold everything I had,I don't want to get to that point again so I need to slow down a bit,shoot you guys I haven't even posted half the stuff I got lately,there is a 210 JD and a 111 on my trailer right now lol.
Back to top Go down
joe

PostSubject: Re: Kohler K-181 question   Sat 16 May 2009, 11:52 pm

hey evan my oil has to be just right to im picky with that kina stuff heres what i got 2 1/2 pints
is crankcase oil capacity
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Kohler K-181 question   

Back to top Go down

Kohler K-181 question
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1