The Moto-Messenger Garden Tractor Forum.

The Moto-Messenger Garden Tractor Forum.

Tractor of the week: December 5th Tyler Rowe With His Awesome Massey.

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log in  www.motomow.com  

Share | 

What size HP

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Papaw
Regular Poster

PostSubject: What size HP   Sun 28 Nov 2010, 3:10 pm

I have a question. I want to build a barrel train. My question is what HP lawnmower would I need to pull four to six barrels? I retired this year from open heart surgery and a stroke (brought on by the aftermath of the surgery). I had five bypasses and two collasped and blood clots went to the brain causing the stroke. I am no loger allowed to drive or be around machinery (I have very little balance now and fall a lot), so one of the granbabies will be doing the driving. I have an 8N tractor that has been restored and we have hayrides through out the year for folks. I thought the barrel train would be a nice addition. Sorry for the rant, but I get bored sitting here. If anyone has pictures of any barrel trains I sure would like to see them. Thank you much. Smile
Eddy
Back to top Go down
tracktor312
Posted on by 1K

PostSubject: Re: What size HP   Sun 28 Nov 2010, 7:52 pm

heres a pic of my daughter in one at a tractor show this summer. Didn't get real good pics of the whole setup but as you can see the front wheels float when in use.
[img][/img]

[img][/img]
Back to top Go down
tracktor312
Posted on by 1K

PostSubject: Re: What size HP   Sun 28 Nov 2010, 7:54 pm

By the way he was pulling this with a new john deere X540 which was way more than needed it wouldn't take much to pull these!
Back to top Go down
Gtractor
Regular Poster

PostSubject: Re: What size HP   Sun 28 Nov 2010, 7:56 pm

Eddy,
I'd think 10 to 12 horsepower would be the minimum, but it depends on the terrain you have. Your main problem will be traction. Make sure you use a GARDEN tractor with at least 12 inch tires and some ballast. Ag tires would help as well. Good luck with your project, and your health!
Kris
Back to top Go down
Papaw
Regular Poster

PostSubject: Re: What size HP   Sun 28 Nov 2010, 10:10 pm

Thanks fellas...I appreciate your time. Tractor, thanks for the pictures. If anyone else has any I'd really enjoy looking at them. I saw one where the guy had used dollies/handtrucks and it was neat. I was thinking each one of my barrels would be an emergency truck, ie fire truck, ambulance, police, etc. this is what I'm thinking now. That could change tomorrow LOL. Anyways, thanks again. I love this site. As soon as I figure out how to post pix, I'll put some up. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
tracktor312
Posted on by 1K

PostSubject: Re: What size HP   Mon 29 Nov 2010, 11:57 pm

I did a search and found some interesting ones I like the one made out of plastic barrels ! heres a ride on one for you. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2Yx7XiE0GE
Back to top Go down
Papaw
Regular Poster

PostSubject: Re: What size HP   Tue 30 Nov 2010, 1:02 am

Thanks tractor. I've seen some of those, but not all. Some really interesting ideas there. I really think the kids will love it. Not having access to a welder, I think I'm leaning towards the dollies for the frames. I will have to have a "hitch and reciever" welded but I don't see that being a problem. I'm still looking for a lawn tractor minus the deck. I will eventually find one. Thanks again. These are fun to watch. (By the way, I already have the plastic barrels and can get more if needed)
Back to top Go down
Papaw
Regular Poster

PostSubject: Re: What size HP   Tue 30 Nov 2010, 1:04 am

Silly question. How do you post the pix? I've tried a few times today and can't get it. Stupidity I guess. Thanks again.
Back to top Go down
Gtractor
Regular Poster

PostSubject: Re: What size HP   Tue 30 Nov 2010, 3:17 pm

I have to go through photobucket to post pics. It is free, just takes a little longer. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What size HP   

Back to top Go down

What size HP
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1