The Moto-Messenger Garden Tractor Forum.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tractor of the week: December 5th Tyler Rowe With His Awesome Massey.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  www.motomow.com  

First time Moto Mower owner

Go down 
+4
poncho62
tracktor312
Jared Olson for SO IL
cube1980
8 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
cube1980

First time Moto Mower owner Empty
PostSubject: First time Moto Mower owner   First time Moto Mower owner Icon_minitimeSun 27 Jun 2010, 10:13 pm

hello to all. I've never owned a tractor or riding lawn mower before but I was just given a Moto Mower (don't know the year, model or really anything about it yet) Glad to see there are some good resources out here because I'm planning on fixing this thing up and using for plowing this winter. It didn't come with a cutting deck or anything but I'm assuming I'll find some info on here on if I can still get one or a good place to buy used.

The only thing I know about it so far is it has a Tecumseh motor and from what I can read on it

Model HH100-115180D
Serial 2311E

Anyone have any idea what year this is or where I can find out the actual model of the tractor itself?

I'm planning on changing the oil in it tomorrow and putting a battery in to see if it'll start or not (it was sitting outside uncovered for who knows how many years)..........then I'll take it from there.

Looking forward to getting this thing going again!!
Back to top Go down
Jared Olson for SO IL
Admin
Jared Olson for SO IL

PostSubject: Re: First time Moto Mower owner   First time Moto Mower owner Icon_minitimeSun 27 Jun 2010, 10:38 pm

Welcome to a forum. You got a pretty rare tractor for free!!!
Back to top Go down
tracktor312
Posted on by 1K
tracktor312

PostSubject: Re: First time Moto Mower owner   First time Moto Mower owner Icon_minitimeSun 27 Jun 2010, 10:39 pm

There are a few guys here that can surely help you out I am not one of them with motomower! but welcome aboard Evan ,casey, KW, or motobreeder will probably be able to help you out!!!
Back to top Go down
poncho62
Post Addict
poncho62

PostSubject: Re: First time Moto Mower owner   First time Moto Mower owner Icon_minitimeSun 27 Jun 2010, 10:44 pm

welcome........Just a hint...before cranking it over with the battery, take the plug out, spin it by hand....make sure everything is loose......put a little oil in the cylinder.........then crank it over with the starter with the plug still out......You can check if it has spark then......Also have a look under the sheet metal of the engine. Mice have been known to build nests in there......

Good luck....and BTW....we will need pictures of your tractor.....forum rules......lol
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: First time Moto Mower owner   First time Moto Mower owner Icon_minitimeSun 27 Jun 2010, 10:58 pm

Welcome aboard First time Moto Mower owner Icon_cheers
Back to top Go down
wvbuzzmaster
Admin
wvbuzzmaster

PostSubject: Re: First time Moto Mower owner   First time Moto Mower owner Icon_minitimeSun 27 Jun 2010, 11:05 pm

I don't have the resources to give you a year or other stuff on it, mine isnt even built/restored yet.. Evan has a book though that will tell you the year and all, but I can't offer much more than that at this time, but welcome aboard.
Back to top Go down
moto-breeder
Regular Poster
moto-breeder

PostSubject: Re: First time Moto Mower owner   First time Moto Mower owner Icon_minitimeSun 27 Jun 2010, 11:41 pm

Welcome aboard.

I'm not an expert - but I believe you are on the right track.Changing the motor oil before you start.

The rear oil on mine is a 80 or 90 weight.

These are well built machines.

Some pics (hint) would help out with figure the year.

The model and serial number for the tractor is on a plate on the top of the dash, but under the hood. Just left of the steering column.

Someone may know how to decode the tecumseh numbers - especially if the motor looks original.

Back to top Go down
Motomow
Admin
Motomow

PostSubject: Re: First time Moto Mower owner   First time Moto Mower owner Icon_minitimeMon 28 Jun 2010, 9:50 am

send us some pics cube that would really help,,,,,,,,KW
Back to top Go down
http://www.motomow.com
Motomow
Admin
Motomow

PostSubject: Re: First time Moto Mower owner   First time Moto Mower owner Icon_minitimeMon 28 Jun 2010, 9:50 am

Motomow wrote:
send us some pics cube that would really help,,,,,,,,KW

oh and welcome to the forum,great group in here................
Back to top Go down
cube1980

PostSubject: Re: First time Moto Mower owner   First time Moto Mower owner Icon_minitimeMon 28 Jun 2010, 10:01 pm

Hopefully this works. Here are some pics. Sorry about the quality, they were taken on a cell phone. I should have taken some before I started taking things apart but this is basically it. There was a grill on the front that I took off as I wanted to get to the carb.

Summary: Got home from work and changed oil, put some in the crank, cleaned the spark plug, cranked it over a bit and it seemed to struggle at first.

Put the plug back in and it fired right up.

Didn't run all that great....picks up rpm then drops then stalls. Let it run for a bit and it seemed to get a bit better but the rpms jump up then go down, up then down.

The only way I could get it to stablilize was the put the choke in the middle position (the actual choke lever is broken so I have to move it right at the carb.

Anyone have any ideas on the RPM up and down thing?? LIke I said, it seemed to run fine if I put the choke in the middle position but I'd like to get it running right with the choke open.

Other things I noticed were the front steering linkages seem really loose. I didn't look too much at this but is it normal or should it be nice and tight.

Gonna take the carb off in the next couple of days and take it apart and clean it out. Are there any general settings for the carb or should I leave all the needles where they are??

[img][/img]

First time Moto Mower owner Img_0111
[img][/img]

First time Moto Mower owner Img_0112

First time Moto Mower owner Img_0113

First time Moto Mower owner Img_0114

First time Moto Mower owner Img_0115

First time Moto Mower owner Img_0116
Back to top Go down
johnboggs21
johnboggs21

PostSubject: Re: First time Moto Mower owner   First time Moto Mower owner Icon_minitimeMon 28 Jun 2010, 10:06 pm

steering is probly just worn out. Nice lookin tractor
Back to top Go down
Motomow
Admin
Motomow

PostSubject: Re: First time Moto Mower owner   First time Moto Mower owner Icon_minitimeMon 28 Jun 2010, 10:09 pm

wow don't know the deal there with your tractor but thats a sears custom if I've ever seen one here's a pic of mine.Pretty much the same ride except for fenders..KW

First time Moto Mower owner 2007_011
Back to top Go down
cube1980

PostSubject: Re: First time Moto Mower owner   First time Moto Mower owner Icon_minitimeTue 29 Jun 2010, 9:02 pm

K guys, took the carb off and took the needles and jets etc out and cleaned everything out and put it back in with fresh gas. Starts fine but it still revs up and down without moving the throttle. I played around with the adjustment screws but had no luck. I also took the fuel pump apart and cleaned it out.

It still seems to run better if I leave the choke on half way....any ideas of what the problem could be?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: First time Moto Mower owner   First time Moto Mower owner Icon_minitimeTue 29 Jun 2010, 9:11 pm

Sounds like carb adjustment to me. I've had several that would rev up and down at a idle and adjusting the main needle worked for me. I would mess with the adjustments a bit more and see what you come up with.
Back to top Go down
poncho62
Post Addict
poncho62

PostSubject: Re: First time Moto Mower owner   First time Moto Mower owner Icon_minitimeTue 29 Jun 2010, 9:26 pm

The carb needs taken apart and cleaned out....there are some plugged passages in t5here.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: First time Moto Mower owner   First time Moto Mower owner Icon_minitimeTue 29 Jun 2010, 9:33 pm

Whats the relationship between the Motomower and a Sears? Is there one or did the later Motomowers just look similar to the Sears?
Back to top Go down
cube1980

PostSubject: Re: First time Moto Mower owner   First time Moto Mower owner Icon_minitimeTue 29 Jun 2010, 10:16 pm

Thanks guys, I did take the carb apart and cleaned eveyrthing and blew out all the passagesways.

I'll have to try and adjust it some more tomorrow.

The only adjustments I see are one spring loaded screw on the side of the carb and another spring loaded screw on the bottom of the bowl. I'm assuming the one on the bowl is the main adjustment and the one on the side is the idle adjustment?
Back to top Go down
Jared Olson for SO IL
Admin
Jared Olson for SO IL

PostSubject: Re: First time Moto Mower owner   First time Moto Mower owner Icon_minitimeTue 29 Jun 2010, 10:19 pm

i think its the float
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: First time Moto Mower owner   First time Moto Mower owner Icon_minitimeTue 29 Jun 2010, 10:26 pm

cube1980 wrote:
Thanks guys, I did take the carb apart and cleaned eveyrthing and blew out all the passagesways.

I'll have to try and adjust it some more tomorrow.

The only adjustments I see are one spring loaded screw on the side of the carb and another spring loaded screw on the bottom of the bowl. I'm assuming the one on the bowl is the main adjustment and the one on the side is the idle adjustment?

The bottom screw is your main and the one on the side of the boby of the carb is the air screw. the idle adjustment will be on the throttle arm on the side of the carb.
Back to top Go down
cube1980

PostSubject: Re: First time Moto Mower owner   First time Moto Mower owner Icon_minitimeWed 30 Jun 2010, 7:21 am

When you talk about the main needle, is that the screw on the bottom of the bowl, or the one on the side of the carb?

I should mention that when it's reving up and down, the govenor is moving back and forth. I don't know much about govenors but is there adjustments on them or anything. It seems as though when the rpm drops the governor moves and bring it back up to speed, the moves back and the speed drops again.
Back to top Go down
poncho62
Post Addict
poncho62

PostSubject: Re: First time Moto Mower owner   First time Moto Mower owner Icon_minitimeWed 30 Jun 2010, 8:38 am

I believe the governor is just reacting to what is happening with the engine. ...smooth out the engine and it will stop doing that.....I think anyways, | am no expert either.

As for the needle on the bottom of the float bowl.....some have the needle there, others have just a bolt there to hold the bowl on.....You said yours has a needle there....that is the high speed jet
Back to top Go down
Jared Olson for SO IL
Admin
Jared Olson for SO IL

PostSubject: Re: First time Moto Mower owner   First time Moto Mower owner Icon_minitimeWed 30 Jun 2010, 12:28 pm

i think the floats stuck down since it runs with the choke out
Back to top Go down
tracktor312
Posted on by 1K
tracktor312

PostSubject: Re: First time Moto Mower owner   First time Moto Mower owner Icon_minitimeWed 30 Jun 2010, 9:26 pm

the needles have nothing to do with the float !!!
Step 1: With the engine running, open the throttle wide. Turn the high-speed adjustment needle forward and backward until the highest speed setting is found.

Step 2: Move the throttle to the slowest running speed. Adjust the idle-speed needle until the recommended idle speed is found.

Step 3: Once the idle speed has been set, adjust the idle mixture until the engine runs smoothly.
Back to top Go down
tracktor312
Posted on by 1K
tracktor312

PostSubject: Re: First time Moto Mower owner   First time Moto Mower owner Icon_minitimeWed 30 Jun 2010, 9:30 pm

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: First time Moto Mower owner   First time Moto Mower owner Icon_minitimeMon 12 Jul 2010, 11:18 pm

First time Moto Mower owner Icon_lol
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: First time Moto Mower owner   First time Moto Mower owner Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

First time Moto Mower owner
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next