The Moto-Messenger Garden Tractor Forum.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tractor of the week: December 5th Tyler Rowe With His Awesome Massey.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  www.motomow.com  

Gonna try to make some headers.........

Go down 
AuthorMessage
johnboggs21
johnboggs21

Gonna try to make some headers......... Empty
PostSubject: Gonna try to make some headers.........   Gonna try to make some headers......... Icon_minitimeFri 18 Dec 2009, 8:21 pm

with over 300k miles on my truck and very limited funding, Ive pretty well given up on searching for a turbo. I remember a while back their was a thread on FTE about headers for diesels like mine, but as i remember they were quite pricy and werent really worth how much they were charging for them when compared to the power gain. Anyone ever try making headers for a 7.3 IDI before? Also, any idea on what all would be involved in installing headers, more than unbolting the stock manifolds and bolting on the new headers? Mostly im concerned about clearance issues. whattya think about going with shortys?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Gonna try to make some headers.........   Gonna try to make some headers......... Icon_minitimeSat 19 Dec 2009, 11:51 pm

You can buy header kits. That is a box of pre-bent pipes. You can test fit and build them as you go, but your wasting your time putting headers on your truck. All you will gain is exhaust leaks every time you turn around. If you ever do find a turbo you'll want to rebuild your engine before you put it on. With that many miles you will trash it real fast. Also on diesels (with turbos) to much exhaust flow will cause high egt's. The exhaust will tuble and not flow out of the turbo as fast as it will with a lil back pressure and it will cause the turbo to cook. Saw a 5.9 Cummins with 5" straight pipe that when flat footed you could see the pyrometer climb till you let off of it. Dropped the exhaust back to stock size for the first 2' out of turbo and you can stand on it all day without smoking the turbo. Why are you wanting headers? Are ya trying to make it sound better? If so let me know and i'll tell ya how to make a 7.3 really bark.
Back to top Go down
johnboggs21
johnboggs21

PostSubject: Re: Gonna try to make some headers.........   Gonna try to make some headers......... Icon_minitimeSun 20 Dec 2009, 9:23 pm

Well the sound is a plus, but i was also hoping to pick up a few ponies and mpgs.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Gonna try to make some headers.........   Gonna try to make some headers......... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Gonna try to make some headers.........
Page 1 of 1