The Moto-Messenger Garden Tractor Forum.

The Moto-Messenger Garden Tractor Forum.

Tractor of the week: December 5th Tyler Rowe With His Awesome Massey.

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log in  www.motomow.com  

Share | 

Positive ground? or is it bass akwards.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
wvbuzzmaster
Admin

PostSubject: Positive ground? or is it bass akwards.   Sat 14 Nov 2009, 1:33 am

Alright guys,

I need an opinion, and or some information, preferably correct. lol!

I bought an older Gilson than my yellow one a while back, a 1967 model M-7 Gilson to be exact. I got it home and I had to jump start it for the first time, it had been starting just fine most the weekend, just ask Evan. Well, as I went to jump it Dad asked me if the battery was hooked up backwards or was it supposed to be a positive ground... Well, studying it and I got no clue.... except wire colors and thoughts... yikes...

Anyway, the red wire is hooked to negative and the black wire is hooked to the positive terminals on the battery. The black wire is much fatter than the red wire however, so that is weird to me. Then, the fact that the battery is not at full charge is odd too, it is a starter generator system, so it should be charging the battery, unless it's backwards...

I have zero manuals for the tractor, but that wouldn't help since the engine is a 1974 vintage Briggs and Stratton horizontal shaft, with a Delco Remy starter generator attached, looks factory for the engine. I really need to figure this one out.. cause I don't want to put my new battery on the tractor until I know for sure which is ground, since the current battery is about crapped out...

If it was you and knowing that most old garden tractors are negative ground, and looking at what I see, how would you hook up the battery??
Back to top Go down
tracktor312
Posted on by 1K

PostSubject: Re: Positive ground? or is it bass akwards.   Sat 14 Nov 2009, 1:43 am

Well you need to trace the wires someone may have put the wrong color wires on it see id the red actually goes to ground or to the starter generator.
Back to top Go down
wvbuzzmaster
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Positive ground? or is it bass akwards.   Sat 14 Nov 2009, 2:37 am

I will have to check again in the morning, but just for reference, would you believe that is it supposed to be negative ground, or other way around??
Back to top Go down
poncho62
Post Addict

PostSubject: Re: Positive ground? or is it bass akwards.   Sat 14 Nov 2009, 10:27 am

All I have seen are neg ground.....Trace the wire that is connected to the neg post and see if it goes straight to the chassis. Maybe, someone just used a red wire......

The starter generator?...How many terminals are there on it...Some were made for golf carts that would turn in both directions......EZ-Go used these......Its a long shot, but that could be your case, although I doubt it would work by just reversing the polarity
Back to top Go down
Jared Olson for SO IL
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Positive ground? or is it bass akwards.   Sat 14 Nov 2009, 10:49 am

ya trace the negative wire to see if its gounded
Back to top Go down
tracktor312
Posted on by 1K

PostSubject: Re: Positive ground? or is it bass akwards.   Sat 14 Nov 2009, 11:36 am

My quess would be negative ground I haven't seen positive ground on a garden tractor but I haven't seen alot of things.. take a picture..
Back to top Go down
wvbuzzmaster
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Positive ground? or is it bass akwards.   Sat 14 Nov 2009, 11:08 pm

I had traced the wires a few times this month and it was black to chassis, red to solenoid I believe. I had the battery charging overnight and tested it this morning, good battery so I decided that it wasn't getting recharged and got low and a cool night finished the discharge. So when I remounted it this morning I stuck it in as a negative ground and it worked all day long, starting and restarting. I probably restarted the tractor more today than the whole time I've owned it, and I didn't just start it and shut it off. I let it run a bit first. I will probably stick the multimeter on the tractor tomorrow and see what the charging system is doing. If it is hooked up the right way it should read about 13 and odd change volts across, if it's backwards it should read less than before I started it.
Back to top Go down
Jared Olson for SO IL
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Positive ground? or is it bass akwards.   Sat 14 Nov 2009, 11:40 pm

im havin chargin trouble on my M right now Sad
Back to top Go down
Motomow
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Positive ground? or is it bass akwards.   Sun 15 Nov 2009, 11:14 am

definitly make sure you trace the wires real good buzz,the way it is hooked now has to be mainly right or you would be smoking and burning wires.All i've ever known myself was negative ground like the guy's are talking about.A lot of people will do whatever just to make it work,I've seen a million black positive cables lol.There could be wiring wrong to make it not charge right,that could even be the small wires at the voltage regulator.Starter generators will go bad to tho,I mean they can start the engine but not charge right I have had those to.Good luck with it. oh there is a couple of starter generator diagrams on our website didn't know if you looked at it,link below they are towards the bottom Smile KW

http://www.motomow.com/tractordiagram.html
Back to top Go down
http://www.motomow.com
tracktor312
Posted on by 1K

PostSubject: Re: Positive ground? or is it bass akwards.   Sun 15 Nov 2009, 12:38 pm

sometimes starter generators need to be polarized also so they will charge
Back to top Go down
johnboggs21

PostSubject: Re: Positive ground? or is it bass akwards.   Sun 15 Nov 2009, 3:59 pm

Told ya it probly needed to be polarized buzz............
Back to top Go down
wvbuzzmaster
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Positive ground? or is it bass akwards.   Sun 15 Nov 2009, 6:17 pm

Motomow wrote:
definitly make sure you trace the wires real good buzz,the way it is hooked now has to be mainly right or you would be smoking and burning wires.All i've ever known myself was negative ground like the guy's are talking about.A lot of people will do whatever just to make it work,I've seen a million black positive cables lol.There could be wiring wrong to make it not charge right,that could even be the small wires at the voltage regulator.Starter generators will go bad to tho,I mean they can start the engine but not charge right I have had those to.Good luck with it. oh there is a couple of starter generator diagrams on our website didn't know if you looked at it,link below they are towards the bottom KW

http://www.motomow.com/tractordiagram.html

The tractor seems to be happy as negative ground, although it worked as positive ground before, just not good enough in my opinion. I had traced the wires numerous times, black to ground, red to solenoid, and positive was on the grounded (black) wire. SO I have changed the battery leads and it seems to be working just fine, so I will leave it. As for testing the charging setup I have not done that yet either, done a lot of new construction on the machine instead. lol! (see new thread in "projects")

johnboggs21 wrote:
Told ya it probly needed to be polarized buzz............

As for polarization, I switched tractors on ya and thought about the 444's charging issues. So I will try polarization on that tractor after I get it all repaired.... I hate acts of stupidity, always results in tractor downtime... Sadly I got enough machines that one being down doesn't affect getting anything done, if I do anything at all. lol!
Back to top Go down
tracktor312
Posted on by 1K

PostSubject: Re: Positive ground? or is it bass akwards.   Sun 15 Nov 2009, 6:35 pm

yet either, done a lot of new construction on the machine instead. (see new thread in "projects")

I don't see anything!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! we need pics[img][/img][img][/img][img][/img]
Back to top Go down
wvbuzzmaster
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Positive ground? or is it bass akwards.   Sun 15 Nov 2009, 7:12 pm

tracktor312 wrote:
yet either, done a lot of new construction on the machine instead. (see new thread in "projects")

I don't see anything!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! we need pics[img][/img][img][/img][img][/img]

I thought that I could get the new thread up real quick after I posted about it in this thread so sorry for the wait, I see you found it right after I got it up though. Very Happy

By the way, funny pics. lol!
Back to top Go down
tracktor312
Posted on by 1K

PostSubject: Re: Positive ground? or is it bass akwards.   Sun 15 Nov 2009, 8:01 pm

yeah gotta be quick around here lol!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Positive ground? or is it bass akwards.   

Back to top Go down

Positive ground? or is it bass akwards.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1